A few weeks ago someone at our church challenged all of us to fast. It doesn't have to be food, just something that we are addicted to that is taking up too much of our time and focus. And instead of doing that thing or eating, use that time to pray and focus on God. Well Heath gave up Facebook. He felt like it was becoming too important to him. First thing when he came home he would open the computer and want to check what people were doing. For myself, its the tv. It's hard being home all day with one kiddo and trying not to turn on the tv. Now we don't leave it off all day but I was taping all of these reruns. I know I didn't need too but I was. Then why Caleb would take his nap I got in the bad habit of watching all of those reruns. Now that probably wouldn't be so bad if I was doing something productive like riding the stationary bike but I wasn't. I was just sitting or lying here. Sometimes having popcorn too. At first I was going to give up one meal a day but I knew I could just have popcorn later, like if I gave up lunch. And if I gave up the popcorn it still didn't stop me from watching reruns. I'm addicted to Grey's Anatomy. What can I say? Well i can say I'm not as addicted to Grey's Anatomy and Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. I can say I may enjoy watching tv but I LOVE my God. I can say how relaxing it is to sit and watch my shows but there is no feeling like it when the Holy Spirit comes and grabs you. This is what our family has been experiencing. And yes I meant to say family. Not just myself. My Heath and I giving up these temptations and giving that time to God and to our family, we are all growing because of it. The other day in the car, I just went to mail a letter and the Song 'We Cry Holy' by Kutless came on the radio and the Holy Spirit came over me like a flash of waves. I had cranked up the radio and sang for about 5 seconds and tears of shame came over me. Shame for neglecting myself and my family and more importantly my relationship with Him. Tears of Joy because he is a Holy God. I was by myself when this happened and I didn't tell anyone what had happened when I got home. The very next morning, Noah was up early, he wanted to play the Wii before we had to leave and softly from the living room, I hear him singing this very song! I hadn't played it or talked about. It made me smile. Here my 5 year old was having a moment with God all on his own. It was so precious and so sweet.
So we have been cutting back on our tv and turning on some CDs instead. And while the music is playing we just play. And you know even tossing the football around isn't as annoying when music is on and not the tv. I don't know why but it isn't. Even Caleb is enjoying it. Before we had cable and a DVR we listened to music a lot and since we have let the tv and computer take over and it feels great to get back to that spot.
I usually list 5 favorites and 5 gratefuls but this post I am only going to post one. And that is Christian music. It is my favorite type of music and I am so completely grateful for it. For artists like Christ Tomlin and Kutless and SonicFlood and Passion and Newsboys and FFH, for bringing me into that spirit of worship. So many of their songs have special meaning to me and my family, just like they do for most of you. There are more groups I could list. There are so many that have such a good message and I am so thankful for that. I am grateful that their music is there for others as well. But there is one song imparticular, While I am Waiting by John Waller. I loved this song the first time I heard it on the movie Fireproof. It is set as my ringtone and there isn't a day that goes by that I pray to God, 'while I am waiting I will serve you, while I'm waiting I will worship you'. I know I'm a wife and mom of 3 but I am just not sure what God wants me to do with my life and maybe I am already doing it but until I figure that out and God shows me, that is my prayer! I will serve you and I will worship you. I am thankful for a church family so reliant on prayer. I have never been a part of a church that prays as much as Lakeview. And because of Nickie getting up and sharing about fasting and just praying and praising God for 40 days, I am thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment