Monday, September 13, 2010

What To Do?

Recently I've been struggling with what to go back to school for. I attended college to study Youth Ministry. But I've been praying and trying to figure out if that is what I am still supposed to do. I mean, I'm the youth leader now at our church and I love it. But to go back to school for it, well that is something completely different. At least in my mind it is. Do I go the business route to help with our photography business? Do I lean towards sports and coaching? (my 2nd love) Do I go for education and teach? I've even flirted with getting certified to become a medical transcriptionist. In high school I took anatomy classes and absolutely loved them and thought that would allow me to use some of that knowledge. I can't handle the er and I'm not real sure nursing is for me. I shadowed someone in high school. He worked in an ER in Kansas City. They had 3 code blues that night and 2 of them passed away. I had to go back in one of the rooms and take out the guys hearing aid because the family wanted it. Ya, its not for me. So I keep researching and praying. I want to make sure I do the right thing for God, for me and for my family. I don't want to go and then realize I should've went for one of the others. I'm 29. I don't want to be in school for the next 10 years!!

Well, this past weekend I had a youth pastor's meeting and I'll admit I was pretty nervous about attending. I mean I'm just a volunteer. All of the others were actual licensed and paid youth pastor's. But talking with all of them and listening to all of them made me realize and remember why I wanted to become a Youth Minister to begin with. Now I know its not exactly the life choice you'd make for finances. We all know Pastor's don't make very much and honestly, I don't even know that I'd ever get paid. I love the church we are at and we have no intentions of leaving. And if you think about it, by the time Caleb graduates high school I will be 45. At that point I'm not exactly youth minister material or age. At least not the usual. But regardless of all of that, I really feel like that is exactly what I am supposed to do. I am going to tie in one of the other professions as well, minor in one of them.

When God calls you to something, there isn't any turning away from it. Not if you are seeking his will. And I do so daily. Sometimes it can be hard, living every day for God and not the ways of the world. I know by following God's calling, not only am I following him, I'm teaching my boys obedience. I'm showing them how God can use us.

So I'm asking for prayers as I start this new adventure. I'm a little nervous about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment