A few weeks ago I was reading a blog that was recommended and I have to share about it. There is a family that had one healthy child, got pregnant with their 2nd and she ended up having down syndrome. I felt for the family but as I continue to read their blog I got more and more upset and eventually had to exit it. I understand that have a child with needs is going to be rough but up until she said she had down syndrome I really thought they had lost their baby. Every word leading up until that point made it seem as if they had experiences a death. And it angered me that someone would see it as that. A child, a baby is a gift from our Lord and maybe I should've kept reading. Maybe I cut them too short and didn't finish but I just couldn't. I don't understand how someone could feel that way. The family was so wrapped up in have favors for people who visit and worried about all of the material things. That child is a gift and I just pray, everyday, they realize that.
I know we struggle with the material things in our own family. We were watching an old Cosby show the other day and it was where Theo had to have this $95 shirt and the topic became that kids at school expect him to have this specific shirt. Almost everyday we deal with these same issues with our boys and with our youth group. It saddens me to think our society is so pushy on what you have, where you live, the clothes you wear, the activities you are involved in, etc. We get so many flyers for the boys about all of these activities for them to join. And we hear about these families running and rushing from one activity to another. Why is it that families can't be that...families. What happened to spending time together? What happened to family night? Our boys don't always like it but we have limited them to just so many activities. Where is the joy in taking them all across town to participate in something. You get so tired by the end of the season or whatever that you lose the excitement. Its like it becomes a chore. I'm all for extracurricular activities but I am more for family time. I have realized how quickly my boys are going to grow up and have families of their own. And I want to give them everything at times, we always want better for our kids. But not if its going to cost us our values. We eat supper together every night at the table, that is something I know they will remember forever. And I know once they are older this won't always happen. We have limited them to just a few things in the summer. You know we once overheard a couple talking. It was right when school was getting out. They were getting groceries and the mother turned to the father and said, well we have like 10 weeks of keeping them entertained and occupied. What should we do? Parenting isn't about entertaining your kids. You parent them! This happened several years ago and I still remember this like it was yesterday. I want the our children to enjoy childhood. I don't want them to look back and remember activities and always running them different places. I'm sure we will get there as they get older. In fact I know we will. I remember jr high and high school but it just seems like you have to start at the preschool age now, or younger. Get them in dance, gymnastics, tap, tball, swimming, karate, basketball, cheerleading, etc. It seems so rushed. They are only kids once. And I don't mean for this to anger anyone. These are just things we struggle with as a parent.
5 favorites
-pedicures
-sonic ice water's
-honey mustard dressing/sauce
-candles
-salads
5 gratefuls
-I'm grateful that the Lord has blessed me a husband and kids. I'm grateful for all of the time we get to spend together.
-I'm grateful for jonathan, his pickyness, his love for family and friends, for his freckles and the way he can make anyone laugh, for his kind heart
-I'm grateful for Noah, his smile that lights up your day, his passion for life and people, his passion for his family
-I'm grateful for Caleb, the way God seems to use him to give people really long hugs, just when they need them, for his personality that makes us laugh everyday, for his sweetness
-I'm grateful for Heath, for his love for the Lord, for his love for me and our boys and for our youth group, for his passion for family, his commitment to serve our Father in Heaven, for his values
No comments:
Post a Comment