Tuesday, August 5, 2014

In Summer!

I'm not sure about all of you, but we feel like summer flew by!  We didn't do anything extraordinary but a lot of the ordinary and loved every minute of it.  Most of our attention at first was geared towards Caleb and his Tball games.  Really we just wanted him to try.  You know kind of swing the bat, look like he was making an effort.  And even maybe run a little to the base.  Not asking for much, just a little.  So we took to bribery.  Probably not the best parent move however it worked.  And if faced with another baseball season I would do it again.  Although I don't think sports are in his future, at least not like his older brothers.  He is perfectly ok with this and so are we.  All we wanted was for him to learn how to be a part of team and to not give up.  We try and teach all of our boys that when you commit to someone or something you don't give up and quit.  Quitting is easy but isn't the answer.  So he hung in there and really it was just as much of a struggle for us as well.  Its hard getting a kid ready for a game when he could care less about going.  But its over and man that feels good!!!

Our July was jammed pack with Noah at church camp one week.  Then on the weekend Jonnie and his friend ran a 5k for the Sunflower State Games.  They didn't place but raced well.  I think his friend Jake improved his time.  Jonathan twisted his ankle so he didn't get a good time but he didn't quit.  He had to walk some and slow down but he didn't stop and made it across the line.  I'll admit at first I was not happy that he was so far behind.  Then when he still wasnt anywhere in sight after a few minutes had passed I started to worry that something happened.  Then when he finally came and crossed the line and I was so proud of him for not giving up.  That next week was his turn at church camp.  And let me just say they go to an awesome church camp.  They loved every minute of it and are already talking about next year.  And next summer Caleb will get to go for a few days and he can't wait for that.  

Both Jonathan and Noah competed with their basketball teams in the State games.  They didn't win many but played hard and learned a lot about what they need to do to keep improving.  We truly love being with the families on both of these teams and can't wait for october to get here so we can spend time with all of them again.  

By the time camps and the Games were over it was the end of July and VBS time.  We are back at Wanamaker Woods Church of the Nazarene and the boys had a great time this year.  We met a  lot of great families and were able to connect and meet some new ones!  At the end of the week Caleb even one a scooter and was so excited.  This was the first year Caleb really took to being involved at VBS.  I'm not sure what changed in him or just him maturing but it was exciting to see.  And he loved singing up on stage in front of the church on Sunday.  This boy who usually has no clue or interest in others around him, and plays in his own world, has seemed to have left!  Who knows, maybe acting is in his future.  Or singing like Noah!

We then went to our first Royals game as a family and with my parents and brother and his two kids.  Somehow we have never taken our boys to a game and it was a blast.  It was like 110* out but it was worth every bead of sweat.  The boys' face when they saw the stadium and walked inside, got to see several home runs and even got to watch each Royals player that they wanted, was worth it all.  The joy on their faces was priceless.  At the end they did a fireworks show and it was awesome.  Caleb did a good job at sitting down for the game but when the fireworks started his face lit up.  He was so happy it brought me to tears.  And when it was all over the looks on their faces is a memory I will never forget.  Hopefully we can go to another one soon.

Its now August and we are gearing up for another school year.  Jonathan will be in 6th, Noah in 4th and Caleb in 1st.  They are all super excited about their teachers and literally can't wait for school to start next week.  I am still so thankful they love it so much.  And honestly I am pretty excited too.  I've loved sleeping in and being relaxed all summer but I can't wait to get back to work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment